Friday, August 3, 2012

DIY Necklace Organizer

Daughter Samantha has come up with a simple project that I think we all can use (I know I need to organize the clump of necklaces on my dresser and in my jewelry box!)


Before I came across this idea, I used to "organize" my necklaces by grouping them in ziplock bags on top of my dresser.  Needless to say, it wasn't very effective or pretty.  But this on the other hand, is very pretty and  keeps my necklaces from being tangled together.

Here's all you need:
Piece of scrap wood/ Spray paint/ Drawer pulls/ Ribbon/ Staple gun/ Electric drill & drill bits

1. Spray paint your piece of wood. Aim into the wind and away from anything it could permanently damage! Let dry and add additional coats as needed.
2. Look at the size of the screws that go with your drawer pulls and compare to the size of your drill bits.  Estimate which would be best, and mark the wood where the pulls will go, and drill as many holes as you have pulls.  You could do them all in a line, or zig-zagged, or whatever you think is cute!
3. Hold your first pull up to the hole, and screw in the coordinating screw from the back of the wood. Continue with the rest of your pulls.  
4. Measure and cut your ribbon to the length you think it should be.  Make sure you allow some extra for a bow, and cut in half.  Staple each ribbon to the back of one end of the wood.  Tie  in a bow in the middle.
5. Last, depending on what you drawer pulls/wood is like, you may have to actually screw the piece of wood into the wall, rather than hang it.  Because my pulls were too heavy, my piece of wood drooped over when I hung it by the ribbon.


And there you are! A much nicer alternative to zip-lock bags!

You can also use this principle for really anything in your home that needs a little organizational face-lift.  I'm thinking a towel rack,  kitchen utensils, or even a coat rack by the front door! Let me know what you come up with!

Happy weekend!

Samantha

 P.S. Don't forget the big giveaway here on this blog, and at Henry Glass Fabrics all this week.

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I leave all of my necklaces on the dresser and hubby gets SO upset! heehee! Will definitely try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also always have my necklaces all over the dresser, this would be much easier to use than a jewelry box.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might have to make a few of these, I have so much to organize! I'm thinking maybe one for purses to keep by the door, and maybe another for my scarves... Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing, I will bookmark and be back again





    Leather Organizer

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails