Monday, September 26, 2011

De-Stash 4 Malawi (Come along with me.....)

 I want to start out by saying- I LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea. So often we see sad little faces on the news and feel that the world is so unfair and there is so much suffering, but there is nothing we can do. And then we go into self-preservation mode and put it out of our thoughts. I do it, you do it, we all do it- I think it's just human nature. We think, "If I don't think about the suffering, my heart won't hurt." Actually, we probably don't think that consciously, but subconsciously, that desire to push away the sad thoughts (and guilt) is there.

So what if I told you there is something you can do? What if I told you that something really small on your part would put a HUGE smile on a child's face, and in fact, probably change the course of their life. Yes, you really can!

I am talking about De-Stash 4 Malawi:
We are focusing on a mission in Malawi, in southeastern Africa. This work endeavors to clothe and educate the orphaned children and the adults there. Here is a quick peek at the letter from Mrs. Kropf:

I have been measuring children for school uniforms. I have measured a little over 900 of them in the last month. I enjoy this. It gives me a chance to see their little faces and connect some names with faces. I look at these precious little 6 year olds, not quite sure what this Azungu (white person) is going to do, their eyes wide with fright; the 9 year old girls give me shy little smiles; the boys put on a bravado. It was my joy to give them 5 copy books and a bar of soap each.
There are so many teenaged girls in grades 5, 6, and 7, failing many years, and partly because when they become women, they do not have the necessary sanitation means to go to school, so they miss a lot of school. The boys miss a lot of school because they go out looking for odd jobs to buy clothes, shoes, food, etc.

Here is where you and I come in. With fabric yardage, Mrs. Kropf can transform a tee-shirt into a dress for a girl, or create a pair of shorts for a boy.  She says:

I made a lot of tee shirt dresses last year, using new material for the bottom and used shirts for the top;  I made over 300 of them. That is why new material for dresses and tee shirt dresses is so much appreciated. I can buy material here, but it is not as nice as the states.

I don't want this post to be too long. Go here to get all of the details about the program. There are lots and lots of chances to win books, patterns, and fabric for every yard of fabric you donate! They are also collecting thread. And go here to read the full story about what the Kropf's are doing in Malawi. Trust me- you want to read this story- it will fill your heart with joy and hope that there are people giving so much of themselves and really making a difference. And you and I can be a part of it.....

Don't put it off. Don't intend to do it this weekend. I want you to STOP reading this post right now, go to your stash, and pull some stuff out. Go on, you heard me. Right now. It's OK. I'll wait......










OK Are you back? What did you find??? Some cute and adorable stuff just looking for a really really good home? Here is some of what I am sending, I am still putting my package together:

Please participate! You have until October 15 but I don't want you to wait that long, 'cause we all know what happens to our good intentions. Package it up and get to the post office TODAY.

Here is a little hint from me to you: Fabric is heavy and can be expensive to ship. A much more economical way to ship is to use the Flat Rate Boxes that you get from the post office. It costs the same amount to ship, no matter how much you cram in it (and you don't have to hunt around looking for a box). If you can't fill a box on your own, ask a friend to share one with you. And once you put all of your fabric in the box, if you have just a little room left, you can take it to your local quilt shop and ask them to donate a yard or 2 to "top it off."

Again, click here for the program details.

So come along with me, and from the bottom of my heart- THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. I have my Flat Rate box ready for the post office. I think this is a wonderful way to help these children. And a wonderful way for my fabric stash to be used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful idea and I will definitely be sending some of my stash off to them this week. Thank you for sharing! - I'm wondering if you (or anyone else in blogland) is aware of a similar program for needy children here in the good old USA?
    sunshdws@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jacquelynne for this sweet, heartfelt post!

    And thank you to everyone who gives. I know that we cannot truly fathom "poor" as it truly is in 3rd world countries. I'm so touched by the great response to this effort.

    God bless each of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jacquelynne, for helping us spread the word! Anita (comment above mine) is the Kropfs' daughter in law, and will be boxing everything up to go to them! We've been so blessed to see a good response! Thanks again,
    Jacque

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I think I can do this. Will read it more carefully on Sunday after I get through a Saturday quilt program I'm doing for a local church. I think I will breath more easily once I get through that day. :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails